I wanted to do something really special for my 40th birthday. 40 Letters of Gratitude. 40 Acts of Kindness. Something. But man, that seemed like a lot of work.
Then I remembered that I don’t have to do this alone.
We never have to do it alone.
So for my 40th birthday, I asked my friends to light up my Facebook with kindness to others–a sort of mini Kindness Flash Mob (a la Glennon Doyle Melton ‘s love flash mobs). Reception to the idea was awesome.
I woke up this morning eager to begin. I couldn’t wait to see my Facebook notifications bar lit up, and watch the outward ripples of beautiful kindness make our world just a little brighter today.
But Facebook is broken.
It was all I could do not to yell at my kids who were climbing all over me, trying to cuddle with me, EVEN THOUGH FACEBOOK WAS BROKEN ON. MY. BIRTHDAY. (There you go: Act of Kindness #1: I didn’t yell at my kids. Much.)
World, please tell me, what do we do without Facebook? I don’t know, but maybe we don’t need Facebook in order to spread kindness and love. Maybe there are other ways to remind each other that we’re not alone?
So, new rules. If you want to join me in making the world just a little brighter today in celebration of my birthday, let us begin. Here’s how it’s going to work:
1. Perform an unexpected act of kindness. It can be almost anything, so long as it’s Unexpected and Kind. Examples:
* Help an elderly person put their groceries in the car
* Let a harried and stressed out mom ahead of you in line
* Bring a cup of coffee to someone who usually brings you a cup of coffee
* Volunteer at a local shelter
* Visit an assisted living facility
* Listen to the old man at the grocery store talk about his childhood and smile at his memories
* Give a warm hat to a homeless person
* Offer a compliment to someone who looks like she can use it
* Do anything that reminds someone that We Don’t Have To Do This Life Thing Alone
2. Post about it ANYWHERE that I will see it: In the comments here, on FB (if you can get it to work), Twitter (tag me!), G+, even LinkedIn. One of my other blogs, email, wherever.
I hope to reach 40 Unexpected Kindnesses today (because, you know, it’s my 40th birthday). If you feel like it, share this with your friends to help us get there. Be sure to tag me so I know.
I’m committing to match your Unexpected Kindnesses one-for-one over the course of the year before I turn 41. I am tingling with anticipation. We are going to light up the world, my beautiful friends. Together, we’re going to remind each other that We Are Not Alone.
Let the Kindness Mob begin!!!