Here are the next five random things about me. If you want to read the first five, go here first.
6. I adore cats. I suppose that’s obvious from my name. But I don’t want a whole house of them. Just one at a time is perfect. My current cat is an ordinary black domestic shorthair of undetermined years we picked up as a flea-bitten, half-starved, ear-mite-infested stray missing nearly all her teeth. She’s also the best cat I’ve ever known. She follows me everywhere–around the house, around the yard, she is always within sight. She purrs louder than she meows. She likes to greet any one who walks onto our property. She’s sweet with the kids, but she’ll give them a little warning swipe if they are hurting her. Or annoying her. Same thing. Her name is Inara.
7. I also adore my husband. We met in Shakespeare class and the moment I heard him talk about symbolism in Comedy of Errors, I knew he was the One. Our relationship might have moved forward a lot more quickly if his then-girlfriend hadn’t pointed out to me that they were engaged (they weren’t). We’ve had some rough times, but I wouldn’t trade a moment of our journey. He’s the most fun and interesting person, as well as the most honest and straightforward, I’ve ever known. He’s smart and kind, too. He’s the sort who might sit quietly most of the time, but when he speaks, if you pay attention, it will be something well worth hearing. I have possession of the most precious gem in the world–his love and affection and respect. I wouldn’t trade that for anything on earth.
8. I went to three different high schools and loved drama and music, but never got to play a leading role in anything because I was always the unproven new girl. Moving around also messed with my GPA and class rankings. However, it also resulted in not having to take a state history class. Which, in retrospect, was probably not a good thing but it made me happy at the time.
9. I’ve been in Weight Watchers since my youngest was about ten months old. I lost more than 40 pounds. Then I quit & put about 10 of them back on. Then I went back and it’s taken me months and months to get back to my goal weight. I LOVE Weight Watchers–it gave me my body back.
10. I dye my hair. Obviously. I always wanted to be a redhead because my grandmother was and I love my grandmother a lot. And because red hair is hot. I pretend not to care very much about my appearance–I cut my nails short, wear no make-up, and spend as little time in the bathroom as I can get away with. But I think secretly I’m a little vain. I wish I weren’t.